The Road Accident Fund (“RAF”) is a public entity which has been set up to pay compensation to people injured in road accidents or the dependents of people fatally injured in road accidents, arising from the negligent driving of a motor vehicle in South Africa. The RAF is financed by a fuel levy included in the price of petrol and diesel.

Who may claim?

  • Those who have been personally injured
  • The dependents of a deceased victim and/or
  • The close relative of the deceased in respect of funeral expenses

A claimant under the age of 18 years must be assisted by a parent or legal guardian.

Serious injury

If you were involved in an accident on or after 1 August 2008, it is now a requirement to establish that you sustained a serious injury in order to qualify for general damages. At MED Attorneys, we operate in a network of specially trained medical practitioners certified by the American Board of Independent Medical Examiners to expertly assess the seriousness of the impact of an injury on your lifestyle and livelihood.

What can you claim for?

  • Medical expenses already incurred and those to be incurred in the future
  • Funeral expenses
  • Compensation for pain and suffering, loss of amenities, disability and disfigurement
  • Loss of earnings
  • Loss of support in the event of the death of a breadwinner

What is the time period that needs to be adhered to in terms of claiming against the RAF?

For claims in which the identity of the infringing motorist has been established, a claim must be lodged within 3 years from the date of the cause of action and action must be instituted within 5 years from the date of cause of action. For “hit and run” claims, a claim must be lodged within 2 years from the date of accident and action must be instituted within 5 years from the date of accident.

Talk to a Motor Vehicle Accident specialist advisor today

Obtain free initial advice and the opportunity to talk through your experience with Kagiso our Road Accident Fund specialist

Tel 082 885 5201